Make me look pretty, said the keyboard

This blogging malarkey is making me spend even more time at the computer now *starts looking around*.

Ever since I bought my iMac a few years ago I had a light grey fabric offcut which found its way onto my desk back then and which I have been using as a dust cover on my keyboard every since. This dustcover has recently started to look a bit boring the more time I spend sitting at my computer and contemplating my new surroundings. And a proportion of my yarn stash is tucked under my desk and within easy reach. Cue hook in hand.

fullsizeoutput_1285

I am not sure what made me reach for these two colours. I am pretty sure a large ball of the Sailor blue was near the top of my stash and the Galore Red I’ve had in my stash for some time. It’s one of my all time favourite yarns and reds I have come across. I’ve used this yarn in a number of past projects. I created a popper pouch for my iPod, I whipped up a Canada flag when visiting friends in Canada last year (a terrible attempt but they loved it just the same), made a popper pencil case inspired by Molla Mills, used it as a contrast yarn in the base of my Bag Charlotte from Lotje’s Crochet, made some jewellery pouches and I created my beloved Strawberry beanie using this yarn.

fullsizeoutput_12b0

fullsizeoutput_12b2

fullsizeoutput_12b6

fullsizeoutput_12b5

fullsizeoutput_12b4

IMG_2630

Today as I was contemplating my keyboard the combination of this electric blue and red made me think of Captain America or Superman or Wonder Woman – they are energy-giving colours! And just so electric! Absolutely gorgeous! And the best thing about the narrow stripes in this colour combination?  They make your eyes go a bit funny!

The yarn I used is the superb Sirdar Cotton DK mercerised and comes in lots of goooorgeous shades. Below Sailor Blue and Galore Red. Don’t they just look fabulous together?

I made a tension square mainly to see what pattern to make, but I liked the first attempt of narrow stripes so much I stuck with it and didn’t make any other. In the photo you can see that I used my tension square as a coaster (but I forgot to block it).

I created the tension square using a 3.5 mm hook as I wanted this to be tight and the colours to sit close together and really pop – 2 rows per colour. For a 10 x 10 cm square I used 23 stitches and 24 rows. From this I deduced to make a rectangle of 35 x 19 cm I would need 80 stitches and 46 rows. In the end I stopped at 23 rows (I should have continued for a few more in hindsight) and the number of stitches was also more than I needed to get intended size (more on the topic of tension squares next week!). It took me a total of 3 hours and 24 seconds to make this, not taking any breaks into account nor the tension square.

I pinned and blocked my keyboard mat overnight. You can see how it has kept its shape as I am removing pins the next day.

fullsizeoutput_12b7fullsizeoutput_12b8

I stretched my keyboard mat a little too much for blocking which is a shame. Blocking does take some experience too and I definitely need to dive into the topic of blocking at a later date – as you can see some of the stitches where pins were in previously are still somewhat dent. Even now 2 days after I took it off the blocking board if you know where to look you can still point to the stitches which held pins.

So there you have it. I spruced up my keyboard and desktop area with a nice pop of colour.

Made and Loved!

Miriam XOXO

fullsizeoutput_12b9

 

 

Leave a Reply